Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Amazing Olympian

So, this is why I love the Olympics. The competition itself is interesting, but for me, it is the stories of the athletes and how they got there, and what they've had to overcome, that makes it special.

Meet Brian McKeever:



Brian is a cross country skier. He is also legally blind. He has only 10% vision (all of it peripheral). He has represented Canada at both the Salt Lake City and Turin Paralympics, winning a total of 4 Golds, 2 Silvers, and 1 Bronze medal.

This year, after winning a 50km race at the Canadian trials in his hometown of Canmore, Alberta, Brian was selected to represent Canada on our "able-bodied" Olympic team. He will become the first person EVER to compete in both the Paralympic and Olympic Winter Games.

It may be heretical in Canada, but I'm not going to get all worked up about who wins the Hockey Gold (though I suppose I'll still be cheering like mad, especially for the Women's team).

Instead, I'll be looking out for guys like Brian, and watching with pride, and a little bit of amazement, while pulling for our real heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment