Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ski Cross

Ski Cross? No, not Cross Country Skiing. Think Motor Cross, that's more like it. This is the newest event to be added to the Winter Olympics. Instead of racing against a clock, you are racing head-to-head against 3 other skiers on the same course, at the same time.



It is sort of a mixture of downhill and moguls, and is very similar to the Snowboard Cross added for the last Winter Olympics. It has a very "X Games" feel to it, and it is exciting which makes for good TV.

I get the feeling that maybe this is a little like NASCAR, and people are tuning in just to watch the crashes, but hey, if it sells ads on TV, must be a good thing.



In fairness, I think I thought the same thing when they introduced Short Track Speed Skating, which is something I quite enjoy watching now. And I wasn't always a fan of Beach Volleyball either, but now I'm kinda fond of it too.

On the other hand, if you remember the Women's Snowboard Cross from Torino, you'll recall that American Lindsey Jacobellis blew the Gold Medal with a little bit of a "hot dog" stunt in the final stretch:



This is why I question the inclusion of these sports. Are these competitors really athletes (with dedication, focus, and mental toughness), or are they just Ski Bums/Bunnies having a good time? Remember Ross Rebagliati?

I guess if it is fun to watch, and if they really are athletes, then it's probably a good thing. However, I think maybe the IOC is chasing after the young audience (read: TV ratings), and my (initial) objections to this are making me feel as if I am now officially an old fart.

2 comments:

  1. Without question the Olympics is a major money making machine...period. I am Ok with them trying some of these more "exciting" spectator sports as long as they give other really talented and dedicated athletes (the ones that have truly sacrificed ...6-7 day/week training....summer and winter.... all their lives) a chance as well - Synchronized Skating comes to mind but I am sure there are several other sports that could fit my description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. However, both CTV and NBC claim they are going to lose money on Vancouver (mostly because they probably over-bid).

    I am going to have a whole blog post dedicated to Synchro at some point!

    ReplyDelete