Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Commuting

It wasn't raining last night, so I walked home from the IBC.  It was only about 8:15pm, so there were plenty of people still out and about, and decided to take some night shots on the way.  The IBC is located right on the waterfront in the Vancouver Convention Centre.


And which is also right beside Canada Place (which houses the Main Press Centre, or MPC).


From the walkway around the IBC, you can look across the water to North Vancouver...


Heading back to the hotel, there is a CN Tower-like structure called  the Vancouver Lookout which has a glass elevator, and an observation deck, and a rotating restaurant.  I plan to take a ride up to get some elevated shots of the city at some point.


I also passed a neat little garden that was lit up nicely, and which had a waterfall at the back.  It turns out this is part of the Christ Church Cathedral which is supposed to be really nice inside.  I'll try to get back there again too.


I also walk by the giant 5-storey Hudson Bay building that houses the "Olympic Superstore" which, as it turns out, is ALSO sold-out of the "Men's Canadian Olympic Team Half-Zip Fleece" that I have been trying to buy for over a month.  (Sorry, this is a sore point with me - I went to ten different Bay and Zellers stores looking for this before I left).

So, after a good night's sleep back at the hotel (but waking up at 3:30am because I'm still not used to the time zone change) I headed back to the IBC.  Walking to the Sky Train, I pass by the "Beatty Street Drill Hall" which is over 100 years old and has castle-like turrets.  It also has a couple of tanks outside (which are kind of eerie looking in the darkness)...


Getting off the Sky Train at the Waterfront Station at dawn gives me an interesting view of the "Sea Bus" terminal to North Vancouver...


Leading me eventually back to the IBC to start another day!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sean! Glad you got there safe and sound. Great shots. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the tour Sean, feel almost like I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yipeee....we're 48 hours away from the Opening Ceremonies!!! But the Olympics have started for me because I have your blog to read!!

    Your pictures are great.Canada Place is so cool looking with the sails.The Lookout reminds me of the Seattle Space Needle.

    I hope you are adjusting to the time change.

    Looking forward to more!

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete