Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Eagles Have Landed

I've been starting to wear down a bit, and have been pretty tired the last few days.  I think the emotional high of going to the Ice Dance final is catching up with me. 


The past two mornings I have slept in, and just done a little shopping on the way in to work.  One of the first things I noticed upon arriving in Vancouver was how they have put a lot of effort into dressing up the downtown area. 


Part of that process involves street art in the form of dozens (maybe hundreds) of eagles placed in random places throughout the city (kind of like the moose that dotted Toronto a few years ago). 


Some of them are quite nice, others are extremely gaudy.  Seeing as I haven't been out and about much the past few days, I thought I would just share with you some of my favourites as collected in photographs over the past two weeks.


These have proved to be pretty popular, as I see lots of people pausing to take photos of the eagles, or photos of their friends with the eagles.


Tomorrow, I have a "date" with Miranda Berney, who is my uncle's, cousin's, daughter (I think?). Vicki, aren't you the geneologist, does that make her my third cousin twice removed, or something like that?


We've never met, but she is working up at Whistler in a TV production role for the Olympics. She has a day off and wanted to come to Vancouver to experience part of the "Olympic vibe" in the city.


We are going to just walk around Granville and Robson Square downtown, then check out the Olympic Cauldron and have lunch in Gastown before I head in to work.


Unfortunately, it looks like this stretch of beautiful weather has come to an end, as it has been raining the past two days, and is forecast to continue with wet days through the end of the games.


I am glad that I had that string of beautiful days that allowed me to see some of Vancouver's great outdoors like Stanley Park, English Bay, Queen Elizabeth Park, and Lynn Canyon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sean, Just figure out how many generations removed you are from the common ancestor and Bob's your uncle, as it were.
    Grandparents
    Parent - Parent = siblings
    Child - child = first cousin
    Child - child = second cousin

    If one is a first cousin and one the next generation, that would be a first cousin, once removed, since you're both not the same number of generations away from the common ancestor.

    So figure out where you are, and voila!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eagles are so cool. A few years ago Disney had a bunch of Mickey's like that.

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete