Sunday, February 21, 2010

Random Thoughts

Scott Gilman is a field support engineer for Telex (who we write our software for), and he is here doing what I am doing, except that he is working for CTV.  Yes, the Canadian is working for NBC, and the American is working for CTV.  Willie Yau, a retired Telex engineer is also here working for CTV.

I guess we have a little bit of a rivalry going on between CTV and NBC, with some amusing results.  Willie was telling us how CTV has a 150" Panasonic display, and how there are only few of these in the whole world.  John had to tell Willie that NBC has two of them, and one of those is just a spare.

Just so you understand what a 150" TV looks like, here's a shot of me standing beside the one in NBC's studio.   Did I mention that I want one of these?


Continuing our little mini-rivalry, Scott was telling me how good the food has been at the CTV commissary.  I told him the NBC commissary was pretty good too - "Yesterday, we had BBQ Korean Ribs", "We had Korean Ribs too" - "And we had Pad Thai, and Shanghai Noodles", "So did we" ...  Eventually, we figured out that NBC and CTV are sharing the same caterer, so the menu is exactly the same each day.

I've tried to be good, but the stir fry station, and the pizza oven are too tempting, and the desserts are unbelievable.


Stephen Colbert has made a few appearances here with Bob Costas, including one in full Mountie uniform, along with a stuffed moose.


After the late night show was taped and the studio cleared out, we were able to slip in and get our own shot with the moose.


When I got here, I realized that the weather was going to have a large impact one what I was going to be able to do or not do.   Being the anal guy that I am (hmmm, that didn't come out right), I made two lists (literally) of things I wanted to do/see.  One for sunny days, one for rainy days...


Because the weather has been so great, and I have been so successful in getting out and doing things, I decided to take Saturday and Sunday morning to just sleep in a bit and get in some shopping.   On Saturday morning, while wandering around Gastown, I happened to run in to Sandra Bezic...


Sandra is a (among many other things) an amazing choreographer who was worked with Kurt Browning and Kristi Yamaguchi.  She is also the producer/creator of the hit CBC reality TV series "Battle of the Blades" that matched ex-NHL hockey players with female figure skaters in pairs competitions.

More shopping tomorrow morning, but I am hoping to get out to Lynn Canyon with Barry on Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Hey - Sean. Lovin' the blog! Say 'hi' to Willy for me. I'm not sure if he'll remember me from my McCurdy days, but I certainly remember him. It sounds like all is going well, and that you're having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool you got your picture with the Moose!I belong to a board called the Lodge and our mascot is a moose so I'm quite fond of them!!!Would you believe we got together because we are Walt Disney World fans?...the Lodge where the moose meets the mouse! =0)


    I recognized Sandra's face from the ice skating competitions although I didn't know why she was announcing ....now I know!!!

    ReplyDelete