Thursday, February 11, 2010

Getting Fleeced!

This is the story of me getting fleeced, well actually, of me getting my fleece.... finally.   The Hudson Bay Co. is the officially licensed supplier of Canadian Olympic clothing (it used to be Roots, which was WAY better, but that's another story).  The Bay (supposedly) offers a Men's Half-Zip Fleece that I really liked, and tried desperately to buy before I got here.  I went to ten different stores in Ontario, and found a gazillion of them in Medium or Large, but none that were "Sean-Sized".  They were also sold out on-line.

When I arrived in Vancouver, I headed towards baggage claim, and passed by an airport mall store that carried some of the Olympic clothing line.  Lo and behold, I found the fleece in both XL and 2XL!!  Problem was, I was wearing a heavy sweatshirt, and a fleece jacket, and was lugging my laptop, and was worried about getting my bag and finding NBC ground transportation.  I figured that since my hotel was only 2 blocks from the "giant" Bay Olympic Superstore in downtown Vancouver, I'd just wait and get the fleece there.  Of course, when I went straight there after checking in, I found that they had NONE of them (in any size).


I can show some OCD behaviour at times, and I was determined to get this fleece if it killed me, so I took the Sky Train back out to the airport on Tuesday night, and went to the store only to find they had sold out.  However, they told me there was another store in the International arrivals part of the airport, so I hurried over there and arrived just as they were locking the doors for the night. 


They couldn't re-open for me, but a really nice girl named Jessica assurred me that she had both XL and 2XL in stock, and she took my name and phone number, and gave me the store phone number, so that I could call in the morning, and remind her to hold one for me.  With fingers crossed, I headed back to the airport last night (a 25 minute train ride), and FINALLY was able to pickup my fleece!  (I got the 2XL).


The last few pictures are of some "Native" art in and around the airport (since I've been there three times now!).   After picking up my fleece, I then took the train a few more stops out to Richmond and met up with Barry and Judy (and their kids) for a brief visit.  They moved out here from Toronto about 7 years ago, and we miss them a lot!  Barry drove me by the Richmond Oval (where Speed Skating takes place).

The also have a really weird piece of art called Miss Mao Trying to Poise Herself at the Top of Lenin’s Head that has been causing a stir in the community.  Barry and I stopped for a photo (that's his daughter Haley at the left side of the statue).


Barry has volunteered to spend some time with me during my non-working, non-sleeping, hours, and we are going to visit the Museum of Anthropology at UBC next Tuesday.  Thanks Barry!

2 comments:

  1. Museum of Anthropology is a GREAT place to visit! Loving the updates Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure!! You sound like me when I really want something!! Happy to hear you finally found your fleece....enjoy wearing it!!!

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete