Saturday, February 13, 2010

Short Takes

Hopes were high today for an end to Canada's home-turf gold medal drought, with Charles Hamelin (1500m Short Track) and Jenn Heil (Freestyle) both threats for gold on the first full day of competition here.

Unfortunately, Hamelin drew a tough draw for his semi-final and finished third behind the eventual gold and silver medalists, and did not even qualify for the final.

Jenn Heil fared significantly better but ended up with the silver medal (our first of the games).

Meanwhile, the Women's Hockey team routed Slovakia 18-0, breaking their own Olympic record for goals in a game (they had beaten Italy in Torino by a score of 16-0).

The Men's Luge event resumed this morning with training runs, and the first two competitions runs after some modifications to the track (including starting further down the course at the Women's start line in a successful attempt to reduce the speeds at which they travel).

One of the things I liked about the Opening Ceremonies last night was when Bob Costas was talking about "Own The Podium" and how it seems somehow un-Canadian.  He said there is nothing wrong with being polite and friendly, and for us to be saying "Welcome to our country, we hope you have a great time, but we plan to kick your butts while you're here".

I had also said last night that I really enjoyed to poetry portion of the Opening Ceremonies.  It turns out that a lot of people did, surprising many, including the the author and performer, 34 year-old Shane Koyczan.

In fact, the Opening Ceremonies were the most watched event in Canadian broadcast history, with more than 23 million people tuning in to watch some part of the ceremony.  That is a staggering 69% of our population!  Go Canada Go!

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, so I just want to wish Susan a Happy Valentine's Day.  I love you and I miss you (and the kids).  And because I know it will annoy her in a way that only a loving husband can get away with, here is a photo of the two of us from a very long time ago:


You'll have to wait until I get home for your Valentine's Day gift.  I'd send you flowers but I know that you are never home long enough to receive them.  Susan is away this weekend with Caitie at the Ontario Regional Synchronized Skating Competition.  Caitie's team is in 3rd place after their first skate (with the top six teams qualifying for Nationals).  They skate again tomorrow.  Good luck Iced Energy!

Lastly, I want to apologize for not getting some of your comments posted in a timely manner.  For some reason, I am not receiving email notifications when a comment is posted.  I do want to hear from you if you get a chance.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you know I *love* that photo. Those are the people I know. :D

    Thanks for the updates. Sounds like a great time. Any idea how many Americans are there for the events? This is pretty close to having them at home, for them. I've been watching CTV, not any of the NBC coverage, so I appreaciate your NBC comments. :)

    I enjoyed the poetry slam too. KD Lang, Joni, and Sarah Mac were all fantastic. I loved the fiddlers and the tappers. Too bad we couldn't 'rise to the occasion' but it's not so bad in the condensed versions of the finale. :)

    Cheers,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the poet too...thanks for the link to the article about him....very interesting.I hope we hear more from him.

    Well Canada has gotten there gold medal now! Alex Bilodeau in the men's moguls....CONGRATULATIONS Canada!!! =0)


    Great picture of you and your wife...my,my you were hairy!!! LOL! Good Luck to you daughter!

    Happy Valentines Day!
    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete