Thursday, February 11, 2010

Here We Go...

Can you believe the Opening Ceremonies are tomorrow (today by the time you are reading this)!  This week has been crazy busy, and it feels like we won't be ready in time, but I know that everything will be working by the time we get going.  NBC has really been trying to cut costs by having people show up at the last second, but this has created a lot of stress as many venues have not had time to prepare/rehearse, and that make things difficult for us getting all the communications up and running too.

I've been feeling a little bit like a vampire, as I have not been out in the daylight (such as it is in Vancouver) since arriving last Sunday.  That changes Friday as I am now going to be working 3pm to 3am, and will have time during the day to do things in and around Vancouver.  How much time will depend on how little sleep I am willing to live with after getting home around 3:45am each morning.

Here are a last few pictures of Vancouver and the IBC at night...

The IBC has a giant globe hanging in the lobby (you can see it from a distance in a previous post).  I wanted to show you a closer look as it also rotates and is pretty cool looking.

The IBC itself is huge, and many of the interior walls are textured as if they were made of long pieces of lumber stacked (you've probably already seen this as the background for many interviews on TV).  This is just one level of the IBC, there are at least three levels this tall.

Here's a view of the IBC from landing outside the middle level.  This is where the Universal Sports channel for NBC has their set.  Look at the small people in the bottom right of the photo.

Turning around on the landing from there, I am looking at the part of the downtown area.


Looking out over the water, you can see all the way to Cypress Mountain (look at the lights in the hills).  They are working like mad up there to create or move around enough snow to build the Freestyle, Snowboard, and Ski Cross runs.  I can't imagine how bright those lights must be if you were there.  (I know this is a bad, out of focus, picture, but I wanted to show you all the activity over there).


Similarly, shifting a little to the right, you can see Grouse Mountain.  It sure looks like they are making snow up there too.  Lots of powder in the air I think.


Hopefully it will all be ready (just like the IBC!), though I hear they are expecting a lot of rain at Cypress for the first days of competition.

Enjoy the Opening Ceremonies tonight!

1 comment:

  1. YES!!!It's Opening Day of the Winter Olympics! I can't wait to see the ceremonies tonight...I wonder if they will top Beijing?

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete