Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Vancouver Lookout

Bob Gilmartin and I are working the same 3pm to 3am shift.   I've known Bob since Atlanta in 1996, he's a great guy.  We have been lucky enough to have NBC ground transportation give us a ride home each (early) morning because the VANOC shuttle only runs on the hour and we would otherwise have to wait till 4am.  I've actually been able to get into bed by about 3:20am which is great. 

What is not great is that every morning at about 9am the LiveCity Vancouver site right outside my hotel room starts testing out their sound system with LOUD rock music.  (I have no problem with rock music, it's the LOUD part I object to when I am trying to sleep).  They don't even open till 11am.  Fortunately, they only test for about 10 or 15 minutes, and I am able to get back to sleep.

When they woke me yesterday morning, I noticed that it was sunny outside (the first day like this since I have been here).  I decided to visit the Vancouver Lookout on my way to the IBC after walking around Gastown.  I had mentioned the Lookout earlier as a kind of mini-CN Tower, complete with glass elevator and revolving restaurant.

Despite the sunshine, it was still cloudy up in the mountains, so I wasn't able to get the great shots I had hoped for, but here is a 360 degree tour of Vancouver from up top.   This first shot is looking out over Canada Place and across Burrard Inlet over to North Vancounver...


Turning to the left, we are looking out at the Lion's Gate Bridge and the north side of Stanley Park...


A little farther left, and facing west, we can see over the dowtown core with Stanley Park in the background...


Turning towards the south, we can see more of the downtown area...


Continuing to the south and looking out towards Richmond, we can see the BC Place dome (where the Opening Ceremonies took place) and GM Place (renamed to Canada Hockey Place during the games, probably because GM is not an official sponsor).  My hotel (not visible) is just to the right of the dome...


And finally, turning to the east, we look out over Gastown, with Burnaby visible on the horizon in the top right...


It costs $15 for a ticket up to the observation ring (I got a $2 discount with my accreditation).  A bit pricey for only about a 20 minute tour, but your ticket is valid all day, so you can come back any time (ie. to see the sunset or Vancouver at night).

This morning, a clear if not sunny day, I took the Sky Train out to Queen Elizabeth Park (which is up on a hill on the way to Richmond) that offers a spectacular view of Vancouver...


You can see the BC Place dome and Canada Hockey place in the foreground, and the Vancouver Lookout in the background.  Here's a closer look...


What a pretty place to live.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!! Lovely! Just beautiful especially that last picture.

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures look great -- good luck with the games and with the broadcast. Give my best regards to Jamie. Who's this Gilmartin guy you're blogging about -- I'll have to meet him some day!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete