Sunday, February 14, 2010

Downtown in Daylight

Let's go back a few days...  The day of Opening Ceremonies was my first opportunity to see a little of Vanvouver during the day.  My hotel room looks out over the LiveCity Downtown venue (home of the controversial $10 million Canada Pavilion, designed by an American)...


It really doesn't look like we got our money's worth on that one!  Right next door to that is the Aboriginal Pavilion which looks like it might be worth a visit when I get time.


The hotel is only about 100m from the BC Place Dome, where the Opening Ceremonies took place.


Walking up Georgia St. towards the downtown area, I pass by the Hudson Bay store that houses the Olympic Superstore.  This is where rioters and protesters smashed windows the other day.


Many of the buildings downtown are done up with support for Canada...


And again...


I got to sit in a Bobsled on display in the Pacific Mall...


and I'm even wearing my new fleece!

5 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard a thing about the riot....OY!

    Vancouver looks really nice...when I lived in Astoria ,Oregon in the late 80s we talked about visiting up there but never did...wish I had.

    Love the picture in the bobsled...maybe you can get Matt Lauer and Al Roker to be on you team!!

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. .... did you get the scoop on what went wrong during the opening ceremony when the pillar did not rise...I'm thinking someone might not (should not) get paid for that design?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a hydraulic problem. I felt really bad for Catriona LeMay Doan, as she was left without anything to light. I met her in Torino, she has an amazing smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great having your personal view of all things Vancouver 2010! We stayed in town for the Opening Ceremonies (cool!-we liked the poet too-although I was a bit disappointed that there was so little French-Canadian content) then headed up to the cottage, so we missed the first set of events. Thanks! Lynne

    P.S. How did Caitie do? and when is synchro skating going to be an Olympic event?!

    P.P.S. Love the photo of you and Susan-circa 1985 or so? Susan looks the same-it is hard to tell with the hair for you though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caitie's team finished 4th at the Ontario Regionals this past weekend, and qualified for both the Ontario Winter Games and Nationals.

    I would love for Synchro to be an Olympic sport, but I don't think they are looking to add any more team sports (too many people).

    ReplyDelete