Monday, February 15, 2010

The Torch

So, I'm not going to talk about the torch malfunction, though I feel really badly for Catriona LeMay Doan who was left standing there with nothing to light.  I do want to talk about the outdoor location for the Torch, which Wayne Gretzky lit after the ceremonies at BC Place.


It turns out that this is right outside the IBC (and very nearly directly over my head, as NBC occupies the section of the IBC lower level that is under this position).


And, as it turns out, we (who work in the IBC) can actually walk outside right up to the Torch (in fact we can we can even stand right underneath the flame, and you can really feel the heat).


The general public can view the flame through a fence from about 150 feet away.  Every time I go out to look at the Torch, I have people on the other side yelling at me asking how I got in there. 

During the day there are thousands of people who are crowding the streets outside just to get a glimpse of the flame.  Even when I go home at 3am, there are still a few people pressed up against the fence.  How cool is it that I can walk right up to it and touch it!

4 comments:

  1. How cool? REALLY COOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!

    Lucky you!!!

    I saw a story on the news how people were upset on how far away the torch was and the big chain link fence they had to shoot their photos through.They said they did move the fence so people could get a bit closer but not as close as you!!! AWESOME!!

    Alicia =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...just wow I think Canada really out did itself on the torches, they look great. Anyway I'm glad to see your taking advantage of your position at the IBC and I really like how many great shots you have taken so far and I really hope the rest of your stay offers you the experience you wanted.
    -Connor
    PS: We all miss you here but were glad to see your having a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moved the fence 80 feet closer, and the cut a horizontal hole in it so you can stick your camera through to take pictures.

    They've also opened up a ramp (with huge lineups) that has a pretty good view of the flame from up one level.

    They've also put up a barricade so that I can't get closer than about 50 feet now. Glad I got my shots in earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, vicariously enjoying your Olympic experience. What a treat to be at the hockey game last night! I think I saw you... you were the one in the red and white, right?

    Enjoy...so we can too! - your favourite, oldest cousin

    ReplyDelete